Early summer is here and a great time to book a charter. Here’s what you will see and do on a charter from Newport Yacht Charters.
Pickup is at Ann Street Pier, right off Thames St. Going around the harbor heading south first, clockwise, is Cottrell’s Wharf. This is a time share condo’s with boat dockages. The next dock is Brown & Howard Wharf. This is the start of the biggest yachts to tie up in Newport Harbor. Lee’s Wharf is next with West Howard Wharf right after. The next dockage belongs to the International Yacht Restoration School at Spring Wharf. Still heading in a southerly direction is Waites Wharf. An upscale restaurant called, ‘At The Deck’ is at the end of the dock surrounded by an RSVP dock called West Wind Marina. Ending the cruise south is Coddington Wharf with high end condominiums.
Turning to the east we pass by Kings Park. Kings Park has a monument to the French nobleman and General Rochambeau erected in 1934. General Rochambeau was a key commander of the French forces in 1780 who assisted George Washington and the Continental army during the American Revolutionary war. The next dockage ahead is the Ida Lewis Yacht Club. The name, ‘Ida Lewis’ derives its name from the nationally famous daughter of the keeper of the Lime Rock Light. Ida Lewis took over light house duties about 1869 until her death in 1911. She was credited with saving eighteen lives which is shown as eighteen stars on the Ida Lewis Burgee.
Coming up next on the cruise is the original estate of John Nicholas Brown, ‘Harbour Court’ estate. The estate was built in 1904-1904 for the widow of John Nicholas Brown I. In 1987, the New York Yacht Club purchased the estate as their summer headquarters.
The next mansion in Brenton Cover is a Scottish Baronial-style home called Beech Bound Estate. Beech Bound was build in 1895 for iron magnate William Fletcher Burden and his wife circa 1859-1897. The mansion was split into condominiums in the 1970’s.
Right after Beech Bound is Bonnie Crest. Bonnie Crest was built by J. Russell Pope for Stewart Duncan, of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, in 1926. Allegedly, the home’s chimneys are all designed to look like Lea & Perrins Bottles.
Coming up next on the tour is Beacon Hill House, circa 1891. Built for Edwin Morgan, cousin of J. P. Morgan who lived there for 3 decades. In 1921, Captain Marion Eppley took possession for the estate for 20 more years. In 1951, the property was purchased by Felix De Weldon, a world-renowned artist. The mansion has 16 principal rooms, 10 ½ baths, 11 fireplaces, 2 billiard tables, weight room, and steam room.
Further south on the tour is the Brenton Cove condominiums overlooking the end of the cove. These condo’s were built in the 1970’s and do rent for about $10,000 per month in the summer and have sold for $750,000.
This is only half way around the harbor. What to know more? Then call Vanessa to make your day special at 1-508-878-7651.